You may have noticed that maybe six months ago the Business Buzz column that I would write on Crafting an MBA disappeared when the site was transformed to Designing an MBA. If you’ve been jonesing all those posts I’d aggregate for you,I have a special treat. Here is a list of the top blogs that I’d pull from to give you the best business/marketing info I could find.
- Inkling Media – Ken is someone I know personally and his advice is always good and from the heart. He’s always ready to help people out.
- Art Biz Blog – Alyson is another really kind, helpful, and supportive person. But she doesn’t stand for excuses and “No Whining!” All of her products are great and she’s even better in person at a workshop. I’d Rather Be in the Studio is a must have for all artists who want to sell their work. (aff link)
Harriete Estel Berman’s Ask Harriete blog is chock full of great info for artists. Everything from how to photograph your work, to contracts, to Kickstarter projects, it’s here.
- Fine Art Views is another artist based blog that has a variety of writers who talk about marketing, trends in the art world, ways of improving your creative talents, and all sorts of things.
- Maria Brophy is great at marketing and licensing art. Her blog is helpful and extremely informative as to what she exactly has done to further her husband’s art career.
- It’s good to look at general content sites that don’t focus on the arts as well. Copyblogger is a great resource to help you improve your blogging no matter what you blog about.
- Artsy Shark is full of posts showcasing what actual artists have done to improve their business. There are all sorts of small, medium, and large things you can try to get your art sold.
- Lori McNee is a working artist who loves to share her tips for a successful art career. I’ve linked to her business posts, but you can also find great painting tips and news from her studio on the same site.
- Feeling lost in the world of social media? Social Media Examiner can help you navigate and succeed in this vast realm of connections.
- American Express’ OPEN Forum is a great place to find tips for small business (not specifically art related.) There are tips on taxes, hiring employees, marketing, pricing, advertising, and a whole slew of other helpful information.
- The Publicity Hound specializes in getting your business … publicity. She talks about all levels of publicity from your friends word of mouth to getting on major network television.
These are just the top ten. If you saw the list I used to compile the original Buzz posts, you’d probably shiver and look quickly away. You have to scroll down the bookmarks list.
I strongly recommend following all of these people on Twitter and/or Facebook and subscribe to their newsletters (if they have one.) If you read through these on a regular basis and just try one new thing each week, you’ll be surprised at the results.