The Teapot in All Its Glory!

Still unnamed Teapot ©2012 WTEK bronze, nickel, brass

Today is the post that I promised. Here are the photos of the newly completed teapot! I love the way it turned out, even though it unintentionally looks like a sea turtle or manatee crossed with an elephant. I’ve been having a hard time coming up with a name for it. I’m thinking something involving the word (or just the word) Lorica. What do you think? I don’t really want to give it a funny name like Tea Turtle, Teapunk, or Manatea (as I earlier eluded to.) But it’s just been really hard this time.

Back of said teapot ©2012 WTEK bronze, nickel, brass

The riveting went pretty well, though I did have to finagle it a bit to be able to get to all the joints. I really worked at the design as I went to make sure that I would be able to get it all together. It meant some modifications and not as many rivets as I originally imagined, but I still love the way it’s all connected. What do you think about it? Do you like the connections, the pieces, and the textures?

Bottom of the teapot (looks like it's beached) ©2012 WTEK bronze, nickel, brass
Almost Named Teapot ©2012 WTEK bronze, nickel, brass

 

In Process: A New Collar

The original sketch for this collar

I’ve been mentioning a collar on Twitter that I’ve been working on the past week.  It’s still not done, but here are some in process photos to give you a sneak peak into the making of it.

I started with an idea that I sketched out.  It was featuring a pair of breacated jasper that I had purchased from Tao Gems.  The shape itself was influenced by some of my hammered silver collars from way back when, but I wanted to include more texture and the fold formed areas seemed like a nice addition.

The Jaspers
Sketch for the fold formed silver sheet that I cut the shapes out of.
One of the cut out pieces.

This is as far as I’ve gotten.  The collar was shaped and soldered together, then hammered flat and shaped again.  I have one of the fold formed shapes soldered on as well.  The bezels for the two stones were going along nicely until I realized that one of them was soldered onto the backing wrong side up.  I know two different ways to fix that, so hopefully it will go smoothly (wish me luck).

So far I’m really happy with the progress that I’ve made, and it’s been fun working on it.  I can’t wait until it is finished at which point I can share it with you again!

Proposed Finished Product

Bookmark and Share

Fall is in the air!

Today it really feels like Fall.  There’s a cool breeze, I heard crows, and I even saw a yellow leaf fall off my neighbor’s tree.  I love Fall, it’s my favorite season, and not just because I’m an October baby.  It puts me in the mood to get back to work and start some new projects while also finishing others.  It makes me want to go for a walk in the woods, curl up and read a good book with a cup of tea, turn on the propane stove…but it’s not quite that far into Fall yet.

That’s what I’m going to do today.  I’m going to work in the studio on a couple of projects that have been sitting in my sketchbook for quite some time now.  This Sunday I’ll be working in there also.  It feels good to begin work on some major projects again.  One’s even a bowl!  I love holloware, but it’s not time or cost effective right now while I’ve been working for craft shows.  When I finish, I’ll show you some pictures, but you know how slow I can be with posting pictures on the web.  I’ll keep you updated.  For now, just go outside and enjoy this wonderful “Fall” day!