More Progress on Arches

Close up of how the "tongue" will sit on the risers I riveted on today. ©2014 WTEK
Close up of how the “tongue” will sit on the risers I riveted on today. ©2014 WTEK

I feel like I was stuck for a while in the middle of two projects with nothing much to show for either. It doesn’t mean I wasn’t working on them, it just means that I was doing things like filing, fitting, and planishing. Time consuming activities that don’t look good in photos.

Today I made some visible progress with the wallpiece I’ve been working on (occasionally called “Arches”) and I have some in process pics to share with you. I decided to raise up the “tongue” pieces in the middle of the “arches” and, after putting it all together, raising the nickel blobs as well. It makes the piece even more visually interesting and 3D.

View from above without the "tongues" ©2014 WTEK
View from above without the “tongues” ©2014 WTEK

I also worked on staining the base the metal will attach to. I used my own stain made with vinegar, steel wool, and tea. It was a gamble, but I couldn’t ask for a better color to match the bronze. Now I just need to seal it, because right now, it smells like pickles.

Stained Wood
Stained Wood
Angled view to show the dimension ©2014 WTEK
Angled view to show the dimension ©2014 WTEK