You may remember me working on a prototype for a folded bowl. That’s what I’ve been working on lately when I’m able to get into the studio. I like the process so far and I definitely want to use it again.
It was much quicker to get a deeper bowl using this method than it would have been if I were to to raise and/or sink it the traditional way. Also, this way I get little corners. I like the shape of a shallow curve at the bottom with steeper sides.
After texturing and then folding the brass (accounting for any difficulties that might arise from folds disrupting how it would then fold together), I cut out the shape I had decided on, rounded the form, and then riveted the edges. I always knew that I wanted contrasting fins, so designing these was the next part.
Because I was able to save time by forming the bowl in this way, I decided to use the time intensive but awesome texture I’ve used in Ngaru and my Pebble jewelry series. So I decided on placement of the fins and where to put that pebbly texture. Yesterday I spent my studio time chasing the texture in. Remember, for each of those dots I hammered a chasing tool. So one hammer blow = one dot. Like I said, time intensive. And mindnumbingly boring. But I love the way it turns out, so…