I finally got some studio time in this weekend. Unfortunately it was all sawing. Not that unfortunately, it was all necessary and brought me closer to hammering…
Anyway, here is the beginning of the much anticipated wall piece I mentioned the other day. I had the idea in my head and when I first started to put it down on paper, I couldn’t get the design right. It was too stiff and didn’t have the push-pull tension of what was in my head. So I did the initial sketch differently than I normally do it. I went all gesture-y and just scribbled the general outline of the shape in my head and then started adding the other elements in. It worked out so much better than my usual way of sketching.
Then I made various patterns of the different shapes and finally drew a life-size sketch of it. What I sawed out were the main elements that will get shaped and whatnot soon and then I’ll cut out the skinny nickel parts that go inside the “U” shapes.
I also cut out part of the copper bowl that I started back last year. I think initially I was thinking of a teapot idea, then it morphed into a lidded vessel, and now I have a completely other vessel design in store for it. But that will remain a surprise for now (at least until I get some more work done on it.)