More Work on the Layered Vessel

Working the new design out with paper - this part that worked for.
Working the new design out with paper – this part that worked for.

I’ve been getting a lot of work done on the tall layered vessel, unfortunately much of it was wasted. Don’t think that this is a sad post however. It’s just that designs change, metal moves in unexpected ways sometimes, and you end up having to scrap parts you spent time on.

Now that design in metal ©2013 WTEK
Now that design in metal ©2013 WTEK I love the tension in that funky edge!

For instance – the original net piece had an edge the whole way around it. Now it isn’t connected on the bottom. It just wouldn’t form the way I wanted it to (Unless I wanted to raise it, which I didn’t) so I changed it slightly to fit my idea better.

And the other side... ©2013 WTEK
And the other side… ©2013 WTEK

Then I decided to change the basic shape of it. It came out a little fatter than I originally planned, so I decided to make the lip less round and more tulip-y. I still used the bronze piece, though I cut off a tip. I like the way it’s on an angle now. I also like the way the bottom is shaping up with the scallops.

Then I used a sheet of paper to get the shape of the opening left on it. I designed another cut out piece, drew it on the metal, and cut it up. Then I tried to get it to fit. Guess what? It didn’t fit. Totally different sizing it up on a flat piece of paper and sizing it up in 3D.

Scalloped! ©2013 WTEK
Scalloped! ©2013 WTEK

So after spending a veeerrrrryyyy long time working on solutions, I came up with a much simpler net design. I built it with pieces of paper directly on the vessel, so this time I know it would work! Yesterday I made a new net piece, formed it, and this one fits! I just need a couple of more sessions in the studio and this piece will be done.

Even with all of the issues, this piece is coming out better than I hoped. I can use what I learned from these mistakes in the future to have a better time designing other pieces in this manner. And of course I’ll find a way to use that piece that didn’t fit. I’ll just have to design something else around it…

The first attempt (the one that ultimately didn't fit) ©2013 WTEK
The first attempt (the one that ultimately didn’t fit) ©2013 WTEK
The piece that actually fits. Maybe simpler really is better... ©2013 WTEK
The piece that actually fits. Maybe simpler really is better… ©2013 WTEK

6 thoughts on “More Work on the Layered Vessel

Comments are closed.