I finally decided on which design to use for the bowl this year. I cut it out of nickel and then I had to make a template for the net part of it. I’ve learned in the past that it’s waaaaaaayyyyyyyy easier to erase and draw again on paper than it is on metal. It just kind of gets smudgy. Or you have to sand it off. Not worth it.
So I started on one template and didn’t like the way the holes were coming out. I
did like the margin I had drawn on it though. For some reason I didn’t draw this margin on the second template. This one had slightly better holes, but I still didn’t like the look of it. I did like the big holes though. It just seemed like so much work and I’m running out of time.
Then I decided to just fool around and maybe only have a few grouping of holes, perhaps with some texture bumps around them. But oops! I had already cut out the metal piece and the shape didn’t lend itself to this kind of thing. I started to doodle and realized that it really just needed a few really big holes in it. I got this design and went YES! This is exactly what I want.
Now I just need to texture and darken the nickel, transfer the template, centerpunch/drill/cut out the holes. Then there’s filing the holes, forming the piece to fit the bowl, cutting up the bowl, riveting it… Wow, I need to make some more time stat!